Thursday, April 5, 2012

Keorapetse Kgositsile Poetry Reading

I didn't get to write down all the poems that Mr. Kgositsile read. But here are a few:

These are from If I Could Sing:

1. "Red Song"
2. "Seaparankoe"
3. "Memorial"
4. "Rejoice"

Most or all of these poems are from This Way I Salute You:
5. "Messengers"
6. "Brantome"
7. "Cassandra Wilson Will Sing"
8. "In the Naming"
9. "No Serenity Here" (click on link for poem) - This was my favorite poem!!!
10. "No Boundaries"
11. "Letter from Havana"

I have to say that this poetry reading was one of my favorite experiences. I think it came at just the right time in my life. I needed to hear all that he said. And the way that he read his poems was like he was reaching deep down inside the souls of all living things and striking that special chord that connects us all. It made perfect sense to me. It was good to go to a reading where this was the case. Sometimes I get lost in the words, the phrases, and I am not sure in the way the reading affected me, even though it did. But Kgositsile's reading left me with an overall message and feeling of peace, yet an understanding that it us up to us to make peace, within ourselves and then within this world we live in. He spoke to all our fears and sorrows, but then gave us hope.

A line from "Seaparankoe":

"Not that we are strangers to fear
But we love freedom and peace more
And for this we work and fight."

- Morgen Moxley

You will soon be able to see a video of the entire reading on the MAE Poetry Series website

No comments:

Post a Comment